Sunday, August 3, 2008

Diablo II: MFO #2

The Magic Find Olympics (MFO) is a contest run twice a year on the Single Player Diablo II forum. The basic premise is that each contestant picks something to run: Baal, Mephisto, Level 85 areas or Super Uniques. Then everyone has nine days to run those areas as much as possible, the person with the best items found wins their respective section and can then take a few items from the losers.

Last time I joined the Mephisto category and ran him until I was bored silly, and still lost badly. So this time I decided to run someone else since I had just about everything that Mephisto could drop. I choose Pindleskin since he can drop a ton of items I don't have. My one and only magic finder, Malice, was given the task of running Pindle until I couldn't run any longer. She was leveled up a bit more since last MFO, now at level 92 so surviving shouldn't be much of an issue.

Sign-up Thread
Progress Thread
Results Thread

I ended up 4th of out seven participants, so I was basically average of our group. Malice made around 2300 Pindle runs over the nine day period, averaging a run every twenty-nine seconds. Unfortunately my magic finding luck has been fairly poor as of late, and that carried over to the MFO. I averaged one qualifier every 79 runs, which is about four times higher than my past two Pindlethon averages. Needless to say my finds weren't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination, but at least no one above me wanted them so I could keep what I found.

Qualifiers:
IK Stone Cruser - 3
Laying of Hands - 2
Credendum - 1
M'avina's Embrace - 1
Wizardspike - 1
Shadow Killer - 1
Windhammer - 1
Hellslayer - 1
Lightsabre - 1
Viperfork - 1
Demon Limb - 2
Jade Talon - 1
Baranar's Star - 1
Rune Master - 1
Tal Rasha's Guardianship - 2
BK Sacred Charge - 1
Cranebeak - 1
Widowmaker - 1
Fleshripper - 1
M'avina's Caster - 1
Steel Shade - 1
Spirit Ward - 1
Alma Negra - 1

The Tal Rasha armors were the highlight of my stash. This ensured I only need to find the amulet to have the entire set. For non-qualifiers I did find a Paladin combat skiller and a Vex rune. However due to a mistake on my part my stashes for the past eight months were lost a few days ago so those items, along with quite a bit else were lost. Not to fret though, I still have all my items from the last Pindlethon and Mephathon so I don't need to do any magic finding to replace lost items.

I think for the next MFO I'm going to run something else, Pindle is a boring target. I'm thinking the Level 85 areas may be my next attempt. There I can add variety to the runs as well as use different characters if I want. That way socketables and so forth will increase my stash and after I lose I'll still be quite a bit richer than before.

No comments: