Thursday, February 5, 2009

Java: CharSi Update #18

Mission accomplished. At least for this portion of the program. Several test characters were created and as a result quite a few bugs were found. Case in point the sorceress mastery skills weren't being calculated into the values displayed in the Skill tab's tooltips. Now they are.

Along with that I added a few extra features that I wanted and that also made the program much more user friendly. One would be that there is now a tooltip in the Stats panel for both the Strength and Dexterity JLabels. This tooltip displays how much strength/dexterity is required to wear all of the assigned equipment.

The second feature added is the option to add, or subtract, more than one point from the stat fields at a time. Up to this point the plus and minus JButtons had to be used to add stat points, and when 350 points needed to be added to Vitality the right mouse button got a lot of use. Now there is a JMenuItem under the File menu to add or subtract from each stat. A dialogue is displayed asking for a specific number and then that number is used to calculate the new stat values.

Now I have all the features I wanted set up and the mods and damage should be all calculated correctly. Most likely there are a few calculation bugs somewhere in the code, but I don't see them. So at this point I need others to find any errors for me. To that end I've send the idea to the diii.net forum moderators to see if such a program is useful to the community in general. I don't actually know if a similar program already exists that everyone is already using and I just haven't heard about it. I couldn't find one, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. I won't compete with someone else. If something is already available I'll just use CharSi for myself. If it can be helpful to others, then I'll make it publicly available.

Either way, my next step is to work on an item generator that will allow the user to create any magical, rare or runeword item to equip onto the virtual character. Can't have those Spirit shields and +3 Fire skills amulets left unused.

2 comments:

Jabari said...

Hmm - it kinda looks like Silo is updating/reworking GoMule to do something possibly similar - not totally sure how much overlap there is though.

As far as CharSi - is there somewhere to get a "trial version" or something similar? I wouldn't mind poking around with it for a bit and seeing if I can find any problems / give some suggestions...

Silverbolt said...

I heard recently about Silo's planned update. My understanding is that his will encompass already created characters (Open then in GoMule and see what they've got). Don't know however if he plans on expanding that or not.

There isn't anywhere to download CharSi yet. Want to get a few more pieces together first, as well as a mod decision before I go that route.