Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Online Game: Dungeons & Dragons: Tiny Adventures

A while back my brother convinced me to join Facebook. Being a gamer I knew I'd end up playing some of the applications there, and I was right. Thankfully one of the ones I found was simple and requires as little time as possible to still have fun. This game is Dungeons and Dragons: Tiny Adventures. In this game you take a character, equip them and send them off on a short adventure. While they are gone you need to do nothing. After a certain period of time your character completes their journey and you can read about their experience. Once they've healed up you can then send them off again on a different adventure.



It works very much the way D&D works, except just about as simplistic as possible. Each encounter during an adventure has a difficulty in one of the characteristics (strength, dexterity, wisdom...etc). A 20 sides die is virtually rolled and compared to the difficulty. Equal or higher and the character is successful, lower and the character is not. Rewards are given for being successful which can be used or equipped on the character for the next adventure.

This is a set and forget application, that was the intent. One could sit and watch each encounter and switch equipment between them for maximum effect, but personally I see that as a waste of time. This is perfect for me as I have enough other things I do and games I play that getting involved in something that took lots of time would be a major problem. Best part about this is, if you go on vacation there is no penalty. Your character simply sits idle until you return, just like a single player game (which it is). One side effect of playing this game is now I've gotten back into playing Balder's Gate II on my PC. I've only played through that twice before and definitely not seen all of the different aspects of the game, so I don't mind. I needed a bit of a break from Diablo II as I've pretty much worn that game out and played all of the builds I intended to play. There are a few more I could play if I wanted, but I think I'll wait for the 1.13 patch before that happens.

No comments: