Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Diablo II: The Afterlife Tournament

The Single Player forum of Diabloii.net is a lively place where various amounts of tournaments are constantly in progress. The one I joined recently was The Afterlife Tournament. The basic premise behind this tournament is that the only items that can be worn are ethereal items or a set/unique item dropped by an act boss. This of course meant that my character, Angela, had to start life punching all of the monsters until she could use her skills. This would be something I've never had to try before.

As expected resistances were a major problem in this tournament, mine were fairly low until Act V when I was able to create an Ancient's Pledge shield (~50% resistance to all). However since I picked a lightning sorceress as my character dealing damage wasn't a problem in both Normal and Nightmare difficulties. Some near death experiences (NDE) were encountered, normally a result of the lack of resistances. However in the end it was not resistances that killed me but impatience. In the Sewers of the Kurast Baazar (Act III NM) I encountered a pack of dolls that suicide bombed Angela, as described in my death post.

Were I not so impatient then I could realistically have gotten this character to Hell, however I don't believe I would have made her a guardian. I normally play softcore so dying is just something that happens from time to time, but in tournaments hardcore is the only option and one death equals elimination. I'm bound to make a stupid mistake somewhere along the way, so I never expect to actually win a tournament but they are fun regardless.

No comments: