Thursday, June 7, 2007

Utility: GoldIcon

While I do enjoy creating the programs in Java for work and myself personally, opening them in a DOS prompt is not the most convenient process. Obviously I could simply combine all of the class files into a jar executable, but then all of those files would look identical. This would make things difficult for my coworkers who are utilizing the icons and also simply looks unprofessional. So I use GoldIcon to create all of my icons, it's a freeware program I found while googling for such applications online.
The program itself is extremely simplistic and used only for creating the icon itself, not the executable. This make it perfect for me since my artistic skills are extremely limited. Simply use the cursor to click one of the boxes to place the appropriate color in that position. It is also possible to create shapes (circles and rectangles) automatically.

My icons started very simple, such as a colored box or hourglass figure. I also had a lot of fun creating different shield crests, one of which is now being used for the En Guard program (it seemed fitting). Below you can see some icons that I have created to date.


Not all of these icons are in use. It would be too confusing to have 4-5 shield icons for different programs. Besides, variety is the spice of life, is it not?

No comments: