Thursday, October 2, 2008

Diablo II: Emperor's Clothes Tournament

A lot of the tournaments of the SPF at diii.net revolve around either skill or item restrictions. The Emperor's Clothes tournament by Merlin is an item restriction only contest. The basic idea is that items dropped by Super Uniques and Act Bosses are the only items that may be worn, normal monster drops are not allowed. White items may be worn until a suitable replacement is found.

The tournament was both very frustrating and enjoyable. The challenge of making a viable character with limited equipment was quite interesting. Thankfully skills were not very restricted, the only thing not allowed was summonable minions, so builds like the Fishymancer and Summoning Druid were automatically out. The frustrating part came when normal monsters dropped the best items, while SUs dropped Isenharts cases. However this was considered and one of the rules of the tournament was that the personalization quest (Act V) could be used to make a normal drop usable.

In this tournament I entered one character, Enkidu. He was a Teslafroster, a build I've never tried before. Ended up being quite safe, but still had his share of NDEs. I'm not sure I'll enter another character here or not. I have a few personal builds I want to make in Softcore outside of tournaments and then maybe I'll try my hand in another one.

No comments: